Friday, October 25th, 2012
Set Up: noon – 5:00pm
Event: 5:00pm – 9:30pm
Where: OCC Horticulture Department; HORT 101 (Lab)
What is Science Night?
Every year all the science departments begin preparing for a visit from students teachers, parents, from schools all over orange county. It falls upon us to show off and teach our visitors what horticulture is all about! We put on different exhibits for kids to look through and engage. There are plants you can smell, touch, eat as well as microscopes that they can look at bugs through. It is a fun filled event, something that will stick with you for a very long time! So come join us and help us this year!
What can you do to help?
- Gathering lots of plant samples from around campus and placing them in vases on the class room tables, in designated areas.
- We will need help hanging up posters and other horticulture material around the room.
- Microscopes and bugs need to be set up.
- Poinsettia wall needs to be decorated.
- Plant Identification cards for all of the plants on every table need to be labeled correctly
- We will need help carving some pumpkins to set out.
- Seed Pods need to be placed near front door.
- List of Horticulture Classes need to be on dry erase board
- T-shirts need to be picked up. YES! Free science night t-shirts for all the volunteers!
- Volunteers to be stationed around room at least 2-3 per table. Ready to answer questions Like “What kind of plant is that” Everything will be labeled so it will be easy to answer questions.
- 2-3 people at bugs and microscopes
- 2-3 people stationed at front gate to direct people into the building
- 2-3 people stationed at front door to welcome our guest.
- 2-3 people re-stocking refreshments
- Tear down at 9:30 -10:00
Photos from previous years